Thursday 10 March 2011

home made vacuum-molding

vacuum table
made a vacuum-table to make small molds using an old vacuum cleaner and a box with small holes in the top. worked very nice, but now I have to find the perfect material to make the molds with. I did a few tests with plastic bags and plastic milkboxes but nothing perfect so far. It would be nice if I could use materials that would otherwise be waisted.
milkbox plastic

plastic bag

The idea is that you heat the plastic with a paint stripper and then lay it over the mold that is on the vacuum table. the air pulls the plastic down nice and tight as it stretches over the mold.

So far no perfect results but I will keep trying. Already picked up some paintcan-covers from the trash in the street while cycling to my studio. Will try those tomorrow :-)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...